Diabetic foot care
Call us at 613-761-6060
or Book Online!
Diabetic foot care clinic in ottawa
At Natural Sole Wellness Centre, we know that diabetic foot care is an essential service because your feet are the foundation of your body! Your feet keep you active and independent. Just like your eyes and teeth, your feet also need a routine assessment and care.
With everything a diabetic person needs to manage, foot care can easily be forgotten! Foot care can be challenging for those with poor vision, decreased mobility, and loss of protective sensation. This can put individuals at risk of developing a foot ulcer. When left untreated, the ulcer can rapidly progress into an infected wound. Diabetic foot ulcers can quickly deteriorate, and result into lower limb amputation. Preventive care is essential to keeping your feet healthy.
Diabetic Foot Exam and Screening
Diabetes can increase the incidence of foot related problems because it can damage the nerves in your feet and cause poor blood circulation. Small cuts and sores can take longer to heal, putting you at risk of infection. With diabetes, taking care of your feet is an absolute must and an annual foot exam is a great way to learn and prevent most serious problems related to the diabetic foot. The diabetic foot exam with our Nurses includes:
- General Assessment: we review your health history, and will ask you questions about your diabetes and foot health.
- Skin Assessment: we look for skin problems such as dryness, callouses, corns, blisters, fungus, ulcers, and heel cracks. We also look in between the toes.
- Toenail Assessment: we look for ingrown, involuted, thick and/ or fungal toenails.
- Neurologic Assessment: we perform a monofilament testing to evaluate your foot’s sensitivity to touch.
- Vascular Assessment: using our doppler ultrasound, we verify how the blood is flowing in your feet.
- Muscles and Bones: we look for any abnormalities or concerns with the shape, structure and strength of your feet.
- Footwear Exam: it’s important to look at your shoes as poorly fitted shoes can lead to ulcers and injuries. This includes indoor and outdoor footwear.
- You: most importantly, we ask how you are coping with managing your diabetes and foot health. Yes, you matter and our Nurses don’t just look at feet. They use a whole-person approach to health and well-being. Based on the foot screening exam, we work with you to build a comprehensive treatment plan to promote healthy lower limbs and prevent any foot complications.
Our Diabetic Foot care services
During your initial appointment, our Foot Care Nurse will:
- Review your health history
- Provide a nursing lower limb assessment
- Evaluate your daily footwear
- Perform a diabetic foot exam and screening
- Provide full medical foot care treatments for toenails and skin (Medical Pedicure)
- Provide skin moisturizing demonstration
- Offer health teaching and hand-outs
- Send reports to your primary health care provider if required
- Depending on the assessment findings, our Foot Care Nurse will provide you with a customized plan of treatment
Professional routine appointments are recommended every 6-8 weeks to ensure that your feet are taken care of, and remain healthy. For prices and appointment details, please see below.
diabetic footwear and orthotic assessment
Diabetic feet are at risk of nerve damage and poor circulation.This means that the loss of sensation can put you at risk of injuries without you knowing. The reduced circulation to your feet means that small cuts and wounds can take time to heal. This can all lead to ulcers, infections, tissue death and amputation. Wearing ill-fitting and innapropriate footwear can break healthy skin. We offer a line of quality footwear and orthotic therapy that can help prevent calluses, skin rubbing, and foot pain, while providing suport and stability. We offer footwear assessments and fittings, gait scan analysis for custom orthotics, and biomechanic assessments so you are sure that you find comfortable and supportive shoes and inserts that fit you right!
Jobst SensiFOOT diabetic socks provide comfort and protection for your feet. They offer non constricting, mild compression (8-15mmHg). Jobst’s diabetic socks have a smooth, flat and soft toe seam, which reduces pressure and irritation on toes. Jobst diabetic socks are made with acrylic multi-fiber yarns allowing them to wick away moisture, keeping your feet comfortable, dry and protected. They have extra padding in the foot, heel and toe areas to reduce friction, providing added comfort.
- Anti-microbial finish helps prevent growth of bacteria and fungi on the socks to eliminate unpleasant foot odors.
- Moisture wicking acrylic fibers help keep feet cool and dry throughout the day.
- Non-irritating and smooth flat toe seams reduce irritation and pressure on sensitive toes and skin.
- Feature dense padding in the foot, heel and toe to reduce friction and provide cushioning for extra comfort.
- AVAILABLE IN M-L-XL
- AVAILABLE IN MINI-CREW (AT THE ANKLES) AND CREW (BELOW THE CALF MUSCLE)
- FOR AVAILABLE COLORS; See in clinic
Nursing Diabetic Foot Care Treatments
Initial Consultation and Treatment - 60 Min.
The initial appointment includes a complete medical history, nursing assessments, footwear inspections, nursing diagnosis and personalized plan of care. The initial appointment also includes a first treatment for your feet (medical footcare/pedicure, diabetic footcare, ingrown toenail care, thick toenails, corns and callus removal etc.).
*All new patients must book an initial consultation prior to any treatment listed below.
Diabetic Foot Screening and Care / Routine Appointment - 30 Min.
As a diabetic, lower limb and foot care is an essential part of your health and well-being. The Canadian Diabetes Association recommends regular foot assessment and care for all people with diabetes for the prevention and early detection of foot problems.
Your appointment consists of a few steps:
- Screening tests for the ‘diabetic foot’
- Health assessments (ex: structural assessment, neurovascular testing, biomechanical assessment, footwear assessment, etc.)
- Nail & skin care (as listed in the Medical Foot care section)
- Skin moisturizing demonstration and application
- Offering health teaching and hand-outs
- Referral to other health team members as needed
Additional fees may apply for wound care and foot padding/strapping/offloading
Medical Nursing Foot Care / EXTENDED Follow Up Appointment - 45 Min.
*NEW* (Requested by popular demand): This 45 minute follow-up appointment allows you to have more time with our Foot Care Nurse.
The appointment is recommended for patients who:
- Have been in before, but have not received routine foot care in over 4 months. Our Foot Care Nurse will go over your intake and address current/ new concerns.
- Wish to discuss about a new concern or pain in addition to their routine medical foot care appointment (ex: new ingrown toenail pain, toenail injury, wound care, etc.)
- Wish to receive further assessment and have their current treatment plan reviewed (ex: pain management, gait scan analysis, footwear assessment, compression therapy assessment, diabetic health teaching, etc.)
Additional fees may apply for material used for wound care and foot padding/strapping/offloading
Footwear, orthotic therapy and toe spacers
Do you have pain when walking or lose your balance? Do your toes overlap or rub against each other? Do you suffer from foot blisters, thick calluses, corns, bunions, toe deformities, arch pain, or any other foot problems? If you answered yes, then chances are you need help with your footwear. If you suffer from nerve damage and circulatory problems in your feet, then proper fitting footwear is a must.
We offer a wide range of professional footwear, insoles, and toe spacers. Our Foot Care Nurse can help you select footwear that properly fits. She will measure your feet, assess your medical concerns, and find you footwear that meets your needs. We also offer off-the-shelf quality arch support and gel toe spacers to provide you with added comfort and protection. Contact us today to set up an assessment and discuss what options are available to you.
Please note that this is a medical service and is hst exempt.
Our Nurse is a Veterans Affairs provider: direct billing is available for In-Clinic Nursing Foot Care.
Coverage may be available with your private insurance company under NURSING CARE. A receipt with the Nurse’s license # will be provided. This service can also be put towards your income taxes as a medical expense.
Foot Care Instrument Reprocessing
Instrument care, sterilisation and reprocessing is an integral part of Nursing Lower Limb & Foot Care. To learn more about our reprocessing policies, please click the link below.
Become a PODORTHO®NURSE Today!
If you are an RN, RPN or NP looking to redirect your nursing career, deliver optimal patient care in a relaxed environment working one on one with patients, and value quality work and personal life balance, then this is the carrer for you.
Click here to learn more about Advanced Nursing Foot Care courses in Ottawa.