Foot Care for Seniors
Call us at 613-761-6060
or Book Online!
Seniors foot care in Ottawa
Our feet are vital to our overall health, mobility, and independence. It is estimated that our feet carry us an average of over 180 000 kms in a lifetime, which is equivalent to walking around the earth 4-5 times. It is no wonder that foot problems increase as we age. Receiving regular and proper foot care is an important aspect of our seniors’ overall health. Caring for our feet can become difficult as we get older. When unable to reach or see, something as simple as improperly trimming toenails can lead to serious injuries and increase the risk of infections.
At Natural Sole Wellness Centre, our advanced medical foot care services are performed by our Registered Nurse. Our Nurse is a licensed, independent, and Regulated Health Care Professional who has acquired an advanced certification in lower limb and foot care beyond her nursing degree. With these skills and knowledge, our Nurse is qualified to assess, treat, educate, manage potential lower limb and foot problems, and provide comprehensive nursing care. Providing foot care to our seniors is more than just receiving a standard pedicure at a nail salon. While you may think that we are just cutting toenails; we are providing you with a full lower limb assessment and treatment at every appointment to ensure that you are not showing any signs of infection, inflammation, trauma, impaired circulation, ingrown toenails, or ulceration. Our Nurse has also the unique role of promoting the maintenance of healthy lower limbs and feet, as well as preventing foot complications.
Common Foot Concerns
Our feet are designed to ensure our mobility and provide us with balance and support. When our feet are neglected, and their health is affected, it can impair our strength, posture, flexibility, and overall wellness. Many think that foot issues are a result of getting older. This is false; pain and discomfort are not normal and are not part of the aging process. Lower limb and foot problems need to be addressed, especially within our senior population, and necessary steps must be taken to provide treatment and preventive care.
Here are common lower limb and foot problems seen in our elderly population to which we can help with:
- Arthritis Pain
- Athlete’s Foot
- Corns and Calluses
- Cracked Heels and Fissures
- Diabetes and Neuropathy
- Dry and Itchy Skin
- Edema and Lower Limb Swelling
- Fallen Arches
- Foot Blisters
- Foot Ulcers and Pressures Sores
- Fungal Toenails
- Heel Pain
- Ingrown Toenails
- Joint Stiffness
- Leg cramps
- Metatarsal Pain
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Plantar Warts
- Poor Leg Circulation
- Thick and Painful Toenails
- Venous Disease and Insufficiency
Advanced Medical Foot Care in Ottawa
At Natural Sole Wellness Centre, we believe that aging feet deserve extra care. Whether you are looking for foot care services for yourself or a loved one, common foot problems should be addressed sooner rather than later. During your initial appointment, our Foot Care Nurse will:
- Review your health history and list of medications
- Provide a nursing lower limb assessment and examination
- Evaluate your daily footwear
- Provide you with a customized treatment care plan
- Provide full medical foot care treatment (medical pedicure)
- Provide skin moisturizing and how towel treatment
- Offer health teaching, preventive strategies, and hand-outs
- Provide expert advice and product recommendations (lotions, creams, gel pads, felt pads, offloading devices, toe separators, etc.)
- Send reports to your primary health care provider if required
Professional routine appointments are recommended every 6-8 weeks to ensure that your feet are taken care of and remain healthy. With our multidisciplinary approach, we also offer additional lower limb and foot care services such as:
- Footwear assessments and fitting
- Compression therapy assessments and fitting
- Biomechanical assessments and gait scan analysis
- Custom orthotic assessments and dispensing
- Fungal toenail treatments with photo therapy
- Non-invasive ingrown toenail care and bracing
- Pain management with laser therapy
- Wound healing with laser therapy
- Myofascial release (soft tissue rehabilitative massage)
We are pleased to offer senior foot care services to the Ottawa-Gatineau region. Our clinic is wheelchair accessible and located on ground level with available free parking. Our private treatment rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and technologies to provide the care you need. In addition, we follow strict Infection Prevention and Control Safety Guidelines when disinfecting our treatment rooms, and when sterilizing our instruments to ensure your health and safety. Whether you need treatment or prevention help, call us today at 613-761-6060 to book your appointment with our Registered Nurse.
Fall Prevention: How healthy feet can reduce the risk of falling
(Created in guidance with Health Canada)
Falls are the number one cause of injuries related hospitalization among seniors in Canada. While the factors causing falls are numerous, the good news is that falls are preventable! At Natural Sole Wellness Centre, we provide a “ground-up” approach to fall prevention by promoting healthy feet. Healthy feet contribute to a full and active lifestyle which is important to our quality of life. Here are a few lower limb related concerns when it comes to falls:
- Painful foot conditions
- Diabetic foot complications (ex; neuropathy)
- Ulcers and pressure sores
- Hammertoes, bunions, and other foot deformities
- Leg swelling
- Gait and balance problems
- Improper footwear (indoors and outdoors)
These concerns can lead to poor balance, decreased muscle and bone strength in the legs, reduced mobility, isolation, and loss of independency. The first step to avoiding falls is to understand what causes them. Here are a few steps on how you can remain strong on your feet:
- Do not ignore foot pain. Pain is not normal and can often be managed. Make sure you have a health care professional and/or a foot care specialist assess your pain for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Examine your feet daily. The best way to prevent any condition from worsening is by simply looking at your feet. Look for signs of infection, redness, swelling, sores, lumps, or any other abnormal changes to your feet. See your foot care specialist at the earliest signs of any concerns. If you cannot reach your feet; ask for help or use a hand-held mirror.
- Protect your feet. Properly fitted footwear is crucial both indoors and outdoors. The right shoes can prevent foot injuries, risks of infections, slips and stumbles. More than 50% of falls happen inside the person’s home; a good pair of slippers or indoor shoes is just as important than a pair worn for outdoors.
- Have your gait and balance assessed. Lower-body weakness can make exercising difficult. An assessment can help your health care professional provide you with the right exercise plan to help you build strength, flexibility, balance, and coordination.
Caring for your lower limbs can reduce the risk of falls and allow you to remain strong on your body’s foundation: your feet! Call us today at 613-761-6060 to book your appointment with one of our foot care specialists!
To learn more about Fall Prevention visit: Public Health Agency of Canada’s Fall Prevention Guide